SYDNEY (Reuters) – The Australian Federal Police said on Sunday it was investigating a cybersecurity incident that forced port operator DP World Australia to suspend operations at ports in several states.
“We have launched an investigation into the incident and will not comment further as it is an ongoing investigation,” an Australian Federal Police spokesperson said.
DP World Australia told Reuters on Saturday that operations at the impacted ports were not yet restored. A statement said the company was “working around the clock to safely restore normal operations” after the breach was detected on Friday.
A company spokesman on Sunday did not immediately respond to a Reuters request for comment on whether operations had been restored.
DP World Australia, part of Dubai’s state-owned port giant DP World, operates four container terminals in Australia, in Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane and Fremantle in Western Australia.
On Saturday night, Australia’s National Cyber Security Coordinator, Darren Goldie, appointed this year in response to several important issues data breachessaid the “disruption” “is likely to continue for several days and will impact the movement of goods in and out of the country.”
“DP World Australia said it has restricted access to its Australian port operations in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Fremantle while it investigates the incident,” Goldie said on social media platform X, formerly known as Twitter.
Home Secretary Clare O’Neil said on Saturday the government was coordinating a response to the “cyber incident”.
According to DP World, in the Asia-Pacific region it employs more than 7,000 people and has ports and terminals in 18 locations.
Reporting by Sam McKeith in Sydney; Editing by David Gregory
Our standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.